Cashing (Redeeming) Series I Savings Bonds

When can I cash my I bonds?

After they are 12 months old.

  • If you cash an I bond before it is five years old, you will lose the last three months of interest.
  • I bonds earn interest for 30 years if you don't cash the bonds before they mature.
  • If you've been affected by a disaster, special provisions may apply.

What are my I bonds worth?

If you hold an electronic Series I (or Series EE) bond in TreasuryDirect, you can find the bond’s current value there. Use the “Current Holdings” tab inside your account.

For a paper bond, use the Savings Bond Calculator.

How do I cash my I bonds?

Electronic bonds Log in to TreasuryDirect and use the link for cashing securities in ManageDirect.

Paper bonds

You can cash paper I bonds at most local financial institutions. This is the easiest way to cash bonds and the quickest way to get access to your money.

Follow our quick guide

Information for special circumstances:

How do I authorize an attorney-in-fact to cash my bonds?

For instructions, please see FS Publication 0105 (download or order).

How much can I cash at one time?

Electronic bonds in TreasuryDirect

You can cash a minimum of $25 or any amount above that in 1-cent increments. If you cash only a portion of the bond’s value, you must leave at least $25 in the TreasuryDirect account.  Redemptions are comprised of principal and interest. (In a partial redemption, we pay interest only on the partial amount you cash.)

Paper bonds

No general limit exists for the total value you may cash in a single transaction. However, banks have varying policies on how much they will cash in one transaction (and some banks may have a policy to not cash savings bonds at all).

Note: Individual paper bonds may not be split and must be cashed in full.

What will I need to cash a paper bond?

If you plan to take your bonds to a local bank, check with the financial institution beforehand to see whether it cashes savings bonds. If it does, find out what dollar limit, if any, it has on redemptions and what identification and other documents you need.

  • If you are a customer of that bank, establishing identity could be as simple as having an active account open for at least six months, plus proper identification.
  • If you aren’t a customer, banks have varying policies ranging from not cashing your bonds to cashing limited amounts (generally less than $1,000 total value) with acceptable identification, such as a valid driver's license.

To cash your bonds through Treasury Retail Securities Services, follow these steps:

  • Complete FS Form 1522 (download or order). You may need to have your signature certified (see instructions on the form).
  • Mail the bonds and form to Treasury Retail Securities Services, PO Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.

Regardless of where you cash your bonds, if you are not listed as the owner or co-owner on the bond, you have to submit legal evidence or other documentation to show you are entitled to cash the bond. (We don’t return legal evidence.)

Note: Savings bonds cannot be transferred. If you find a bond that belongs to someone else or buy a bond on an online auction site, you cannot cash it. (If you inherit a bond through the death of the bond owner, see Death of a Savings Bond Owner.)

Will I get a form for my taxes?

Yes. IRS Form 1099-INT is provided for cashed bonds. The form may be available when you cash your bond or after the end of the tax year.

Electronic bonds

1099-INTs are posted in TreasuryDirect in January. Use the link on the ManageDirect page.

Paper bonds

The financial institution where you cash the bond provides the form. The bank may give you the form immediately or mail it later—possibly not until after the end of the year in which you cash the bond.

Tax Considerations for I Bonds

What if I'm not sure whether an I bond has already been cashed or replaced?

Start with your local financial institution. It may be able to tell you if the bond is eligible for redemption. If the bank can’t help, you may contact us. If you are the owner or co-owner, send a signed request to the address below. Be sure to include the serial number of the bond.

If the owner or both co-owners have died, you must provide proof such as a copy of the death certificate for each deceased person. Send this with your request.

Send your request to:

Treasury Retail Securities Services
PO Box 214
Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214