Redeeming (Cashing) EE and E Savings Bonds

On this page:

When can I redeem my EE and E bonds?

After they are 12 months old.

  • If you redeem an EE bond before it is five years old, you will lose the last three months of interest.
  • EE bonds earn interest for 30 years if you don't redeem the bonds before they mature. So the longer you hold the bond (up to 30 years), the more it is worth.
  • If you've been affected by a disaster, special provisions may apply.
  • All E bonds and some EE bonds have stopped earning interest and should be redeemed.

What are my EE and E bonds worth?

If you hold an electronic Series EE (or Series I) bond in TreasuryDirect, you can find the bond’s current value there. Use the “Current Holdings” tab inside your account.

For a paper bond, use the Savings Bond Calculator.

How do I redeem my EE and E bonds?

Electronic bonds Log in to TreasuryDirect and follow the directions there. The cash amount can be credited to your checking or savings account within two business days of the redemption date.
Paper bonds You can cash paper EE and E bonds at most local financial institutions.  This is the easiest way to cash bonds and the quickest way to get access to your money.

Follow our quick guide

Or, you can cash bonds by mailing them to Treasury Retail Securities Services, PO Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.

Information for special circumstances:

How do I authorize an attorney-in-fact to redeem my bonds?

For instructions, please see FS Publication 0105 (download or order).

How much can I redeem at one time?

For electronic bonds in TreasuryDirect, you can redeem a minimum of $25 or any amount above that in 1-cent increments.  If you redeem only a portion of the bond’s value, you must leave at least $25 in the TreasuryDirect account.  Redemptions are comprised of principal and interest.  (In a partial redemption, we pay interest only on the partial amount you redeem.)

For paper bonds, there’s no general limit to the total value you may redeem in a single transaction; however, banks have varying policies on how much they will redeem in one transaction and some banks may have a policy to not redeem savings bonds at all.

Note: Individual paper bonds may not be split and must be redeemed in full.

What will I need to redeem a paper bond?

If you plan to take your bonds to a local bank, check with the financial institution beforehand to see whether it redeems savings bonds.  If it does, find out what dollar limit, if any, it has on redemptions and what identification and other documents  you need.

  • If you are a customer of that bank, establishing identity could be as simple as having an active account open for at least six months, plus proper identification.
  • If you aren’t a customer, banks have varying policies ranging from not redeeming your bonds to redeeming limited amounts (generally less than $1,000 total value) with acceptable identification, such as a valid driver's license.

To redeem your bonds through the Treasury Retail Securities Services, follow these steps:

  • Have a certifying officer at a bank where you have an account certify your signature in the request for payment on the back of each bond.
  • Mail the following to Treasury Retail Securities Services, PO Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214:
    • the bonds
    • your Social Security Number
    • your direct-deposit information on FS Form 5396

Regardless of where you redeem your bonds, if you aren’t listed as the owner or co-owner on a bond, you have to show you are entitled to cash the bond.

Note: Savings bonds cannot be transferred. If you find a bond that belongs to someone else or buy a bond on an online auction site, you cannot redeem it. (If you inherit a bond through the death of the bond owner, see Death of a Savings Bond Owner.)

Will I get a form for my taxes?

Yes. IRS Form 1099-INT is provided for all redeemed bonds.

Electronic bonds 1099-INTs are posted in TreasuryDirect in January. Use the link on the ManageDirect page..
Paper bonds The financial institution where you redeem the bond provides the form. The bank may give you the form immediately or mail it later—possibly not until after the end of the year in which you redeem the bond.

Tax Considerations for EE and E bonds

Can I find out if an EE or E bond has already been redeemed or replaced?

Start with your local financial institution. It may be able to tell you if the bond is eligible for redemption. If the bank can’t help, you may contact us. If you are the owner or co-owner, send a signed request to the address below. Be sure to include the serial number of the bond.

If the owner or both co-owners have died, you must provide proof such as a copy of the death certificate for each deceased person. Send this with your request.

Send your request to:

Treasury Retail Securities Services
PO Box 214
Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214