U.S. Treasury Retirement Account
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Many Americans would like to save more for retirement and are looking for simple, safe and affordable options. The U.S. Department of the Treasury is creating a new retirement account for savers who do not have access to an employer-sponsored retirement savings plan or are looking to supplement a current plan. This account will be available through an individual's employer.
Key features include:
- As little as a $25 investment to get started
- Add-on savings through regular payroll deduction – as low as $5 every payday
- No fees
- Account never goes down in value
- Same variable interest rate as other low-risk retirement accounts offered to government employees
- Portable – not tied to a single employer
- Build savings for 30 years or accumulation of $15K, whichever comes first (balance will then rollover to a commercial retirement account provider selected by saver)
- Same tax advantages as the common retirement account known as a Roth IRA
If you have additional questions, check out the Top Questions and Answers about the Retirement Account.
For more information, call (800) 553-2663.