Selling Treasury Bills
You can hold Treasury bills until they mature or sell them before they mature.
To sell a bill you hold in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct, first transfer the bill to a bank, broker, or dealer, then ask the bank, broker, or dealer to sell the bill for you.
How you transfer a bill to a bank, broker, or dealer depends on whether you hold the bill in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct.
- For a bill held in TreasuryDirect:
- Go to "Manage Direct"
- Choose "Transfer securities"
- Identify the bill or bills you want to transfer
- Choose "External Transfer"
- Click the link for FS Form 5511,"TreasuryDirect Transfer Request"
- Complete FS Form 5511 and mail it as directed on the form
- For a bill held in Legacy Treasury Direct, complete "Security Transfer Request"
(FS Form 5179) and mail it as directed on the form.