Selling Treasury Bills
You can hold Treasury bills until they mature, or sell them before they mature.
To sell a bill you hold in TreasuryDirect, first transfer the bill to a bank, broker, or dealer, then ask the bank, broker, or dealer to sell the bill for you.
To transfer, follow these steps:
- Go to "Manage Direct"
- Choose "Transfer securities"
- Identify the bill or bills you want to transfer
- Choose "External Transfer"
- Click the link for the form FS Form 5511,"TreasuryDirect Transfer Request"
- Complete FS Form 5511 and mail it as directed on the form