[–] Text Size [+]
TreasuryDirect (Logo)

EZ Clear - Facsimiles (Photocopies)

Lost, Damaged, or Destroyed Bonds

Facsimiles are necessary for any redeemed savings bonds/notes that were:

  1. Lost or destroyed internally before being submitted to EZ Clear.
  2. Missing from a cash letter that has already been submitted to EZ Clear.
  3. Impounded by the Secret Service.

The facsimile(s) with required documentation must be supplied within one calendar year of the cash letter date.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I submit a facsimile?

To receive credit for a paid savings bond/note that has been lost or destroyed, an agent must use the unique U.S. Savings Bond Indemnification Statement (FORM 700-A) [pdf]*. Please use one form for each bond. Always follow these guidelines when submitting facsimiles of U.S. Savings Bonds.

  1. An Application For Relief Due To The Loss, Theft, or Destruction Of Paid United States Savings Bonds/Notes (PD F 2517) [pdf]* must be completed and sent to the Bureau of the Fiscal Service.
  2. The bond cannot have been filmed in a check carrier that conceals the back of the bond or the endorsement of the owner.
  3. A completed indemnification statement must accompany each photocopy. Please ensure the indemnification statement, the front of the bond, and the back of the bond are all on one 8 ½" by 11" sheet of paper due to EZ Clear having to scan the items.
  4. All facsimile requests are researched before processing. If it is determined that the savings bonds submitted as facsimiles are retired, we will provide our source of receipt information.

View a facsimile indemnification statement example [pdf]*.

Please mail photocopies of the front and back of the lost U.S. Savings Bond(s) and a completed indemnification statement(s) to:

EZ Clear Adjustments
FRB Minneapolis
P.O. Box 9109
Minneapolis, MN 55480-9109

For further information on this service, please call EZ Clear Adjustments at 1-800-245-2804 and select Option 4, then Option 4 from the recorded menu.

What if the information CANNOT be supplied within one calendar year?

If this information cannot be supplied within one calendar year, a claim must be filed directly with the Bureau of the Fiscal Service using form PD F 2517 [pdf]*, Application For Relief Due To The Loss, Theft, or Destruction Of Paid United States Savings Bonds/Notes.

How do I complete a Facsimile Indemnification Statement?

Complete an indemnification statement for each savings bond. The indemnification statement must be at the top of the page on standard size paper (8 1/2" X 11"). The indemnification statement must also identify the serial number, issue date, payment date, and payment amount of the security. The circumstances of the loss (e.g., lost internally, impounded by the Secret Service) must be stated, as well as the name and address of the institution. An authorized official representing the institution must sign the indemnification statement.

* Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from the Adobe website.