Converting Paper Savings Bonds to Electronic Form
You can now convert your paper savings bonds to electronic form.
When you make the SmartExchange, you trade paper savings bonds for electronic savings bonds held in TreasuryDirect, the online system that offers you 24-hour access to your Treasury securities.
To make the SmartExchange:
- Open a TreasuryDirect account, if you don't already have one. Simply complete our easy, online application to get started.
- Once your TreasuryDirect account is set up, login, go to ManageDirectSM and click on the link “Establish a Conversion Linked Account” which appears in the “Manage My Linked Accounts” menu. When you click on that link, you will be presented with a page that provides some information and a button.
- Click on the button to create your Conversion Linked Account. When you do so, the Account Info page in that account will be displayed.
- Click on the ManageDirect tab. On the ManageDirect page you will see a menu titled “Manage my Conversions.”
- From the “Manage my Conversions” menu, click on the “How to Convert my paper bonds” link. This page contains step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process. We recommend that you print this page to have it handy when you begin.
You should also gather your Series E, EE, and I savings bonds and sort the bonds by the names and connectors (“OR,” “POD,” or “beneficiary”) on them. Grouping your bonds by registration will simplify the steps you need to take to enter the bonds you wish to convert.
If you need to get back to your Conversion Linked Account at a later time, you'll see the Conversion Linked Account (“My Converted Bonds”) in the account listing under “Linked Accounts Information” on your primary Account Summary page.
Once you make the SmartExchange, you no longer have to keep track of paper securities.
For other benefits and more information, please see "Convert Your Paper Savings Bonds Using SmartExchange."