Page Title: Choose a Password
What you can do on this page:
- Create a unique password.
- Create a password reminder or clue to help you remember the password if you forget it.
- Answer any three security questions (used to verify your identity when you've lost or forgotten your password or account number or when you attempt to perform certain transactions). When later prompted to answer a security question, your answer must match your previous answer. The special characters !^[ ]|"< > are not valid characters for answering security questions.
Here are the guidelines for creating a password and password reminder:
- Your password must be a minimum of eight (8) characters without spaces.
- Your password is NOT case-sensitive.
- Your password must contain at least one letter, one number, and one special character such as & or $, but excluding <\>.
- You should avoid significant or meaningful numbers, names, or dates.
- The actual password may not be used as the password reminder.
Keep a record of your password and account number in a safe place. For your security, the Bureau of the Public Debt does not maintain any records of customer passwords in any form.
- Click "Submit" to process your password information and proceed to the Customer Info page. Your TreasuryDirect account number will be generated at this time and e-mailed to the address you provided in the application.
- Click "Cancel" to delete your application and return to the Introduction page.